Kentucky is educating tobacco retailer employees to prevent the sale of cigarettes to underage youth. As part of this effort, state tobacco prevention specialists have developed a FREE program called Tobacco Retailer Underage Sales Training (TRUST).
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), having employees trained through a program that follows FDA guidelines such as TRUST could reduce fines to store owners if they were found in violation of federal tobacco laws.
Click on the training module on the right-hand side of this page to begin.
The TRUST training program is designed to:
- Educate employees and owners of stores that sell tobacco of their legal responsibilities and liabilities for selling tobacco products to anyone under 18 years of age.
- Educate employees how to verify that customers purchasing tobacco products are of legal age.
- Provide an understanding of the health consequences of tobacco.
- Help store owners and employees avoid costly fines.
TRUST training can offer:
- Content that is consistent with FDA guidelines for tobacco retailer training.
- Two different training formats - online or face to face for your convenience.
- Training certificates and test results for each employee (FDA recommended).
- Additional support documents to enhance the effectiveness of your store tobacco policy.
- Regularly updated training content to keep up with changes in federal and state tobacco laws.
TRUST is offered free of charge courtesy of the Department for Public Health, the Department for Alcoholic Beverage Control, and the Department of Behavioral Health, Developmental and Intellectual Disabilities.
If you have any questions or would like additional information on the TRUST program, email Steve.Cambron@ky.gov or call 502-564-2880, ext. 4418 or email
ElizabethA.Hoagland@ky.gov or call 502-564-9358, ext. 3141.