Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Image of bourbon barrels in a distillery warehouse

Kentucky Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control

Our mission is to protect the public welfare and interest by regulating the alcoholic beverage industry through licensing, education and the enforcement of alcohol laws and regulations, as well as combating youth access to alcoholic beverages and
tobacco products in the Commonwealth.  


Pursuant to KRS 243.200:  All common carriers must hold their own transporter's license to pick up, drop off and drive through the Commonwealth of Kentucky with any type of alcoholic beverage.  No changes have been made to Kentucky statute regarding transporter's licenses.  Please be aware that processing a transporter's license requires approximately three (3) business days. The basic application for a transporter's license can be found under the licensing tab.  

Schools Out for Summer

Summer is fast approaching, bringing with it a number of minors (people under 21 years of age) looking for work. Students from colleges and high schools are a great source of boundless energy and cheap labor.  However, there are some rules for businesses with an alcoholic beverage license to keep in mind when hiring underage employees.
  • A restaurant with the NQ-2 Retail Drink License can employ minors to work in the restaurant so long as their employment does not involve the sale or service of alcoholic beverages (See KRS 244.090(1) (c) (3)). For example, a minor employee can be a cook, dish washer or busser, but cannot be a cashier for alcoholic beverage sales. A person must be at least 20 years old to serve, sell or accept payment for alcoholic beverages. See, KRS 244.090.
  • If a grocery or convenience store only has an NQ license, a limited exception allows a minor employee at least 18 years old to sell and accept payment for malt beverages by the package only if under the supervision of a person at least 20 years old.  See KRS 244.087. Minors in grocery and convenience stores can also stock, arrange displays and sack malt beverages since these duties do not involve serving or selling malt beverages. See KRS 244.090.
  • Summertime also fosters an increase in people under 21 attending events where alcohol is sold or served. With this in mind, licensees need to be aware that KRS 244.085 generally prohibits the presence of minors at alcohol-licensed premises with a few exceptions:
    • (a) The usual and customary business of the establishment is a hotel, motel, restaurant, convention center, convention hotel complex, racetrack, simulcast facility, golf course, private club, park, fair, church, school, athletic complex, athletic arena, theater, small farm winery, distillery or brewery or winery tour, convenience store, grocery store, drug store, or similar establishment;
    • (b) All alcoholic beverage inventory is kept in a separate, locked department at all times when minors are on the premises;
    • (c) Written approval has been granted by the department to allow minors on the premises until 10 p.m. where the sale of alcohol is incidental to a specific family or community event including, but not limited to, weddings, reunions or festivals.
    • (d) The usual and customary business of the establishment is an entertainment facility where pre-booked concerts are held if (1) there is an actual concert by a touring performer (not a house band, local band, disc jockey, karaoke, etc.); (2) actual concert tickets are sold and records maintained; (3) minors are only allowed in concert area and not in bar areas; (4) minors are only allowed on premises during concert performance and 30 minutes before and after the concert.